One of the key features of Facebook is the BLOCK button. This allows you to ensure that certain people will never see anything you post on Facebook and they won’t be able to message you or reach out to you in any way or form in this social media platform. It may be because this person has been harassing you or you just feel uncomfortable. In some cases, it could be because you had a falling out with someone and you just don’t want to see them online anymore.
I personally have a long list of people on my block list. This led someone to ask me why I just block people. To answer, here are 5 reasons why.
- There are people who should just not exist in your world. If you don’t say hi to each other in person or if they don’t attend your funeral and the thought does not bother you at all, why have them on your online life where you now spend a lot of your time? Why do you need to keep giving them chances to reach out or to ruin your day? You don’t like them / They bother your peace of mind / They are downright losers? BLOCK THEM.
- They betrayed you. Nuff said. BLOCK THEM.
- There are people who started as your friend but somewhere along the way, you get that feeling that friendship is over but you were not informed. You reached out and you get vague responses. You reach out again and nothing. They just stopped talking to you but still remain “a friend” online. When people no longer add value and they don’t reciprocate the efforts you have shown, BLOCK THEM. Why? Because why would you let something that could make you sad and question yourself exist in your life? They don’t want you around, BLOCK THEM.
- Sometimes, we choose to just unfollow people we think we might still need but if you think about it, why just unfollow? Unfollowing allows you to not get updates but the same person you have become irritated with enough to unfollow can still comment, say things, or interact and engage in other ways. Then you find yourself irritated again and bothered. BLOCK THEM. Why? Let’s go to number 5.
- BLOCK THEM because you choose yourself above others. In this day and age where everyone is connected and everyone feels “close” to each other but are really not close, you owe it to yourself to set boundaries. You don’t need to be friends with 5000+ people. Truth be told, you don’t need to be friends with over 100 people. You just need a few who are true to you and then you keep the 100+ who may not be friends friends but are good people to have around.
Blocking people gives you more peace of mind. Isn’t your peace of mind and happiness more important than the convenience of maintaining a so-called connection? Say yes to positivity and block negativity.
Let us know what you think. Comment below.